Callaway #1 Trending Topic
Yesterday…Callaway Golf not only set the Twitter world on fire with their Tweet to Unleash campaign (#1 Trending Topic on Twitter Yesterday). They also pioneered a new way for the golf industry to launch products in the future. Basically, the campaign featured a concealed image of Callaway’s newest driver (2013 Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme)…and more and more of the driver would be revealed based on the volume of Tweets with the hashtag #LongestDriverInGolf. Was a clever idea by the marketing team over at Callaway and one we knew would be successful. But like we said yesterday we just didn’t know how successful.
We saw quite a bit of feedback from readers saying they hated the idea and disliked Twitter even more. The common theme was: why not just go back to the old school way of advertising a new product. Well, sorry fellas/ladies your probably gonna just have to get used to it, times they are a changin’. If you still don’t get it and are still left wondering what the hell Callaway is doing with this type of launch strategy, here are some numbers to back up their efforts and why you will most likely see more of this kind of thing moving forward. And while you will also see the driver revealed ahead of the original schedule. That would be…um…right now.
Stats: Tweet To Unleash Campaign
- Owned the #1 organic trending topic on Twitter for several hours of the afternoon yesterday.
- Yeah, thats for everything in the world, not just golf.
- Generated roughly 12,000 total tweets yesterday.
- Around 12:30pm PST, it hit 45 tweets per minute. That is almost one per second
- Between 12:00 and 1:00pm, there were 1,500 tweets about the campaign. That’s 25 per minute for those counting.
- All of this accumulated nearly 11,000 mentions of @CallawayGolf or “Callaway Golf” on Twitter in less than 18 hours
- So if your using the 6 Degrees Of Kevin Bacon, basically that means everyone on the planet saw the ad.
- Pretty impressive.
Contest – Enter To Win This Driver!
We have one of the new Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme Drivers (pictured below) here at the office so we figured why not give it away to one of you. They won’t hit retail stores until Jan. 18, 2013 so the winner will be getting this one way ahead the launch date.
Well, since Callaway was having fun with their Tweet To Unleash Campaign and the whole hashtag thing #LongestDriverInGolf, we thought we would have a little fun with Twitter too. NO, you don’t have to use Twitter to enter but you will get an extra entry if you do. So here is how you enter.
- Option #1 – (Post In Comment Section) Come up with a creative fake tweet using a made up #hashtag related to MyGolfSpy. An example: MyGolfSpy…the #BestGolfSiteOnMars, That’s how they roll! Realize, Recognize & Analyze…you better ask somebody.
- Option #2 – (Post To Twitter) Tweet your most creative tweet about MyGolfSpy, you must include a #hashtag of your choice and the text @MyGolfSpy . An example: @MyGolfSpy – don’t hate’em cause their honest #TheRealHotList
- Option #3 – Do both…you’ll get an extra entry.
* Limit of 4 total entries