The nearly-undisputed King of Limited Edition Golf Equipment, Cobra Golf, is back with the latest in a steady stream of really cool, and relatively unique, semi-collectible golf clubs.
Previously Cobra has limited their special offerings to the driver. That Limited list includes Long Tom Raw, AMP Orange, AMP Cell Green, and forthcoming US Open Edition AMP Cell Pro.
A limited edition wedge, while not entirely new to the market (Vokey has offered limited runs of select grinds in the past), it is a first for Cobra, and the story behind the RF Proto Wedge will have Rickie Fans desperate to pick up one of the 1600 units Cobra has produced.
Now is probably a good time to mention that
we're giving one away we gave one away...right here...before you can buy it.
Congratulations Tony Bochette
You're the winner of THIS Rickie Fowler TourTrusty RF Proto Wedge. It's #GoTime
But before we get to the back-story, and the giveaway, let's talk a little bit about how the new Tour Trusty differs from the 2011 model.
The New Tour Trusty
When Cobra released the updated Trusty Rusty wedge in the fall of 2011, they stayed true to the Phil Rogers design. Like the original, the 2011 model featured a tri-bounce sole, a rounded shape, and a fairly generous amount of offset.
For 2013 Cobra has transitioned away from the game-improvement philosophy to create a wedge suitable for the best players in the world. Unlike previous Trusty models, the new wedge has very little offset, a near-straight leading edge, and less bounce. While the Tour Trusty retains the wedge's signature scalloped trailing edge, the size of the cutout has been reduced in the new model.
The new Tour Trusty features generous heel and toe relief along the trailing edge which gives the wedge more versatility and helps prevent digging when the face is laid open.
The leading edge of the Tour Trusty features what Cobra-PUMA's Director of of Product Marketing, Jose Miraflor, calls a ski grind. The design, which helps prevent the leading edge from digging, is similar to what you'd find on an alpine ski. How a guy from southern California learned anything about ski design is beyond me, but the rest of it actually makes a whole lot of sense.
The new Tour Trusy has been in an out of Rickie's bag as the design has been tweaked and refined (based on feedback from Rickie, Ian Poulter, and Jonas Blixt). Jonas Blixt and Jesper Parnevik already have at least one of the new wedges in their bags. LPGA star Lexi Thompson is working with the new wedge, while Anna Nordqvist and MGS favorite Blair O'Neal have the wedges in play.
Rickie Fowler, Refrigerators, and Wedges
If you follow Cobra-PUMA Golf President Bob Philion on Twitter you've probably noticed that when Rickie Fowler visits Cobra-PUMA Golf Headquarters they basically let him do whatever he wants. And apparently what Rickie wants to do is leave his signature on basically anything and everything he can get his sharpie-holding hands on.
So rather than turn Rickie loose to autograph something else in Philion's office, the minds at Cobra-PUMA thought it might be more productive to let Rickie create a signature wedge. To that end they turned him loose with some stamps and one of his favorite Tour Trusty models (the 55° model with 12° of bounce) and asked him to do it up the Rickie way.
The Limited Edition model represents the retail recreation of Rickie's handiwork.
The 55° Cobra RF Proto #GoTime Limited Edition Tour Trusty Wedge with True Temper Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue shaft will be available June 1st at a retail price of $149.
The retail model (available in October) won't have Rickie's stamping, and it won't come with a DG Tour Issue Shaft (DG S200 will be the stock offering). In addition to the same satin chrome finish of the Rickie model, the retail version will also be available in a matte black finish. Both models will retail for $119.
Win Rickie's Wedge Before You Can Buy It
MyGolfSpy is giving you a chance to win Rickie's wedge before you can buy it.
There are Two Ways to Enter:
1. Retweet the tweet below (the Re-Tweet Button is the one that looks like two arrows forming a square):
— MyGolfSpy (@MyGolfSpy) May 15, 2013
2. Visit our Facebook Page and Share the Facebook Post to Enter.
:: You may enter via Twitter Facebook or Both
Contest Ends Friday, May 24th at midnight Eastern Time. SORRY - CONTEST HAS ENDED
:: Open to residents of USA and Canada
Tony Bochttete: This is Your Cobra TourTrusty RF Proto Wedge
- PUMA Playing Tricks on Your Eyes with New Colorway - April 21, 2016
- Club Test: TaylorMade PSi vs RSi 2 - April 21, 2016
- Buy Rory’s Method Origin Putter – $500 - April 20, 2016
- Bryson DeChambeau Joins Rickie Fowler on Team COBRA PUMA - April 12, 2016
- PXG 0811x Driver On USGA Conforming List - April 11, 2016
- Is it Time To “Change the frigging golf ball”? - April 7, 2016
- G/Fore Made High Tops for The Masters - April 6, 2016
- MIchelle Wie’s Favorite Swing Analyzer Just Got Better - April 5, 2016
- Titleist C16 – The Company’s First Movable Weight Driver - April 4, 2016
- Cobra KING F6 Baffler – It Makes Sense for Augusta, and it might make sense for you - March 30, 2016
- Driver: Cobra KING LTD w/ 75g Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI X
- Fairway: TaylorMade SLDR S Mini, 12° Fujikura Speeder X
- 3-4H: TaylorMade SLDR TP S
- 5-GW: PXG 0311 w/ KBS C-Taper S+
- SW: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF Tour Grind (54° bent to 55°)
- LW: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 60°
- Putter: PING Karsten TR ZING