It's Finally Here
Friday we showed you a digital artist's rendering of what the PING S55 iron might look like. Today, we' re showing you the real deal s55 iron directly from PING. As you can see, the "real" S55 features a satin chrome finish, but otherwise, @jovineri was pretty close.
We're wondering which design you like better?
The story from PING is that Hunter Mahan got his set several days ago. As with almost every new iron, the report is that Mahan is hitting the S55s higher and longer than the S56.
PING isn't releasing full story yet...and do they the really need to? It's a better player's iron, so you can bet the emphasis will be on workability and control. Toss in the standard bits about higher launch, and well...I think you've got 95%+ of the story.
Here's what PING has released about the new clubs:
- Multi metal (tungsten toe, 17-4 stainless steel body) tour style blade
- Thinner face than S56, larger Custom Tuning Port (CTP)
- Tungsten toe weight adds forgiveness
- Stabilizing bar for distance control
- Stronger lofts
- Available 3-9, PW
OMG! Stronger lofts. I can't believe PING is crawling in the mud with the likes of TaylorMade, and Callaway, and Cobra...and...wait...everyone is putting stronger lofts in their irons. And you know what? Tour Pros don't care, and the average golfer doesn't care, and frankly, I don't care either. It's something for the purists to talk about, but in the grand scheme of things, it's what you might call no big whoop.
The PING S55 irons will hit golf shops on November 1st. I'd expect retail price to be around $1000.
Not-Quite-PING S55 vs. PING S55
Here's the side by side of our artist's rendering (left) and the real PING S55 irons.
Which do you like better?
- MyGolfSpy’s 10 Most Wanted Golf Courses – North Carolina - September 2, 2015
- First Look: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Fairway Wood - September 1, 2015
- Hogans Reborn – A Second Look at the FORT WORTH 15 Iron - August 31, 2015
- Review – Ben Hogan FORT WORTH 15 Irons - August 27, 2015
- How To Find the Right Golf Ball - August 26, 2015
- MyGolfSpy’s 10 Most Wanted Golf Courses – South Carolina - August 21, 2015
- First Look – Cobra KING Forged CB/MB Combo Irons - August 20, 2015
- First Look – Cobra Forged TEC Irons - August 20, 2015
- First Look – Cobra KING LTD Fairway Wood - August 20, 2015
- “The 2016 Driver of the Year”? – (It’s The Cobra KING LTD) - August 18, 2015