It's Finally Here
Friday we showed you a digital artist's rendering of what the PING S55 iron might look like. Today, we' re showing you the real deal s55 iron directly from PING. As you can see, the "real" S55 features a satin chrome finish, but otherwise, @jovineri was pretty close.
We're wondering which design you like better?
The story from PING is that Hunter Mahan got his set several days ago. As with almost every new iron, the report is that Mahan is hitting the S55s higher and longer than the S56.
PING isn't releasing full story yet...and do they the really need to? It's a better player's iron, so you can bet the emphasis will be on workability and control. Toss in the standard bits about higher launch, and well...I think you've got 95%+ of the story.
Here's what PING has released about the new clubs:
- Multi metal (tungsten toe, 17-4 stainless steel body) tour style blade
- Thinner face than S56, larger Custom Tuning Port (CTP)
- Tungsten toe weight adds forgiveness
- Stabilizing bar for distance control
- Stronger lofts
- Available 3-9, PW
OMG! Stronger lofts. I can't believe PING is crawling in the mud with the likes of TaylorMade, and Callaway, and Cobra...and...wait...everyone is putting stronger lofts in their irons. And you know what? Tour Pros don't care, and the average golfer doesn't care, and frankly, I don't care either. It's something for the purists to talk about, but in the grand scheme of things, it's what you might call no big whoop.
The PING S55 irons will hit golf shops on November 1st. I'd expect retail price to be around $1000.
Not-Quite-PING S55 vs. PING S55
Here's the side by side of our artist's rendering (left) and the real PING S55 irons.
Which do you like better?
- First Look – Scotty Cameron Futura X7 and X7M Putters - October 6, 2015
- 12 New Drivers You Might Have Missed - September 30, 2015
- Callaway APEX CF 16 brings Cup Face Technology to a Forged Iron - September 29, 2015
- Callaway Apex Pro 16 – It’s not ALWAYS Just About Distance - September 29, 2015
- Callaway’s Apex Lineup Gets its Own Hybrid - September 29, 2015
- Most Wanted Game-Improvement Iron: Beyond the Data - September 28, 2015
- SPY PICS – Nike Vapor Fly Drivers - September 21, 2015
- Callaway is the #1 Driver Company in Golf* - September 18, 2015
- Nike Golf Dares You To Look Inside the Box (before the weather gets nasty) - September 17, 2015
- First Look – TaylorMade 2016 Tour Preferred, Tour Preferred X and Project(a) Golf Balls - September 15, 2015
- Driver: Cobra KING LTD w/ 75g Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI X
- Fairway: TaylorMade SLDR S Mini, 12° Fujikura Speeder X
- 3-4H: TaylorMade SLDR TP S
- 5-GW: PXG 0311 w/ KBS C-Taper S+
- SW: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF Tour Grind (54° bent to 55°)
- LW: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 60°
- Putter: PING Karsten TR ZING