About this time last season, reinventing the driving iron was all the rage among the equipment companies. By the time we decided to put them to the test, Adams, Titleist, Callaway (who would probably like you to know they were first), Mizuno, and even Fourteen Golf offered retail availability of some form of iron designed to be hit primarily off the tee.
One year later it appears TaylorMade has decided to get in on the action. Whether their new "UDI" is fashionably late, or simply late to the party is certainly a matter of perspective.
Designed for Jason Day?
While I'd be hard-pressed to heap praise on any driving iron (not like they're huge needle movers in the marketplace), I can't exactly fault TaylorMade for finally conjuring up what is a realistically a specialty club likely designed for Jason Day's upcoming vacation to Royal Liverpool.
As you may recall, Day put a 1-iron in his bag in advance of the Open Championship last year and went so far as to use only irons during a practice round at Murifield last season, so it's far from unreasonable to think that while the Ultimate Driving Iron will be available to any TaylorMade staffer who wants ones, it's likely Day who'll have the pick of the litter.
While there are some obvious inferences to be made about the new club...it's for better players seeking control, and likely lots of roll off the tee, few specifics of consequence are available.
I can't tell you:
- If/when it will be available at retail
- Retail price (if ever available at retail1)
- Available lofts
- Stock shaft
1 - It's TaylorMade...it's gonna be available at retail
The one we have pics of is is 18°, and it's obviously designed as an extension of the Tour Preferred iron family (CB/MC), but otherwise details are few and far between.
We'll have more information as soon as TaylorMade decides to share, or a credible source leaks additional details.
Have Your Say?
Would you consider putting the Ultimate Driving Iron in your bag?
- First Look – Titleist 917 Series Drivers - June 20, 2016
- Nike VAPOR FLY TW Driver - June 2, 2016
- Pro Tip: How To Make Your M1 More Forgiving - May 31, 2016
- Updated: 2016 Driver Center of Gravity Locations - May 25, 2016
- A (Video) Message from TaylorMade CEO, David Abeles - May 20, 2016
- The MyGolfSpy Test Center is Open for Business - May 19, 2016
- Callaway’s Flagship Iron Gets the Stealth Treatment - May 17, 2016
- First Look: PING iBlade - May 9, 2016
- adidas confirms plans to sell TaylorMade - May 4, 2016
- Nike’s Vapor Fly Blackout Driver is Just the Beginning - May 3, 2016
- Driver: Cobra KING LTD w/ 75g Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI X
- Fairway: TaylorMade SLDR S Mini, 12° Fujikura Speeder X
- 3-4H: TaylorMade SLDR TP S
- 5-GW: PXG 0311 w/ KBS C-Taper S+
- SW: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF Tour Grind (54° bent to 55°)
- LW: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 60°
- Putter: PING Karsten TR ZING