It's Finally Here
Friday we showed you a digital artist's rendering of what the PING S55 iron might look like. Today, we' re showing you the real deal s55 iron directly from PING. As you can see, the "real" S55 features a satin chrome finish, but otherwise, @jovineri was pretty close.
We're wondering which design you like better?
The story from PING is that Hunter Mahan got his set several days ago. As with almost every new iron, the report is that Mahan is hitting the S55s higher and longer than the S56.
PING isn't releasing full story yet...and do they the really need to? It's a better player's iron, so you can bet the emphasis will be on workability and control. Toss in the standard bits about higher launch, and well...I think you've got 95%+ of the story.
Here's what PING has released about the new clubs:
- Multi metal (tungsten toe, 17-4 stainless steel body) tour style blade
- Thinner face than S56, larger Custom Tuning Port (CTP)
- Tungsten toe weight adds forgiveness
- Stabilizing bar for distance control
- Stronger lofts
- Available 3-9, PW
OMG! Stronger lofts. I can't believe PING is crawling in the mud with the likes of TaylorMade, and Callaway, and Cobra...and...wait...everyone is putting stronger lofts in their irons. And you know what? Tour Pros don't care, and the average golfer doesn't care, and frankly, I don't care either. It's something for the purists to talk about, but in the grand scheme of things, it's what you might call no big whoop.
The PING S55 irons will hit golf shops on November 1st. I'd expect retail price to be around $1000.
Not-Quite-PING S55 vs. PING S55
Here's the side by side of our artist's rendering (left) and the real PING S55 irons.
Which do you like better?
- Costco Suspends Production of the Kirkland Signature Golf Ball - January 17, 2017
- First Look: 2017 MLA Tour Blade F&T Putters - January 17, 2017
- Callaway Chrome Soft Gets an X Rating - January 17, 2017
- PING Launches Highly Refined i200 Iron - January 16, 2017
- First Look – 2017 Callaway Supersoft Golf Ball - January 11, 2017
- First Look: Foresight GCQuad Launch Monitor - January 7, 2017
- Callaway Announces Many Epic Things - January 4, 2017
- Nike to release Air Jordan 1 Retro Golf Shoe - December 30, 2016
- MyGolfSpy’s 2016 Editors’ Choice Awards - December 28, 2016
- Tested: Low Spin Driver Shafts - December 26, 2016
- Driver: Cobra KING LTD w/ 75g Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI X
- Fairway: TaylorMade SLDR S Mini, 12° Fujikura Speeder X
- 3-4H: TaylorMade SLDR TP S
- 5-GW: PXG 0311 w/ KBS C-Taper S+
- SW: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF Tour Grind (54° bent to 55°)
- LW: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 60°
- Putter: PING Karsten TR ZING